HOW OLD IS AVA?

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

HOW OLD IS MAX?

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Feeding Update




At Max's last swallow study, we were told we could give him an ounce of liquids with each of the meals he eats by mouth. I was a little worried about getting him to use a sippy cup or a cup to drink out of since he hasn't had a bottle since he was three and a half months old. Much to my surprise, he is doing great. He does really well with an open cup (with our help), but I also wanted him to drink from a sippy cup. I haven't been able to get him to drink out of a sippy cup with a valve since his suck isn't strong enough. I took the valve out of the cup and he did pretty good, but I was concerned about the milk coming out too fast. Last weekend, I tried the take and top sippy cups and he does great with them. He is able to get milk out and doesn't make a huge mess. He loves drinking! Milk is his favorite. He has also tried juice. It feels good being able to give him liquids. . . so far he has remained healthy. I tried to give him half milk and half pediasure and he wanted nothing to do with it!

As far as food by mouth, he is slowly progressing. He is currently eating small chunks of soft fruits and vegetables. He also still gets purees that are not too thick or have much texture. And of course his loves. . . cheerios and cheeto puffs.

I am glad that he loves eating by mouth. He would put anything in his mouth, it is just that he can't get it down without gagging. Small steps!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

What a big boy! Max is doing soooo well. I'm sure you're thrilled at this. It's wonderful that he LIKES to eat, and he will only improve from here on out!

Anonymous said...

Good job Max.. So proud of you sweet boy.